We take for granted the role of the muscles and joints in our body. Sometimes, there is pain in these joints and muscles, which we tend to ignore until it becomes swollen or painful, and then we seek medical attention. At Bangalore Baptist Hospital, we understand how painful and inconvenient these pains can be. The Department of Rheumatology provides diagnosis and therapy of clinical problems that involve the joints, soft tissues, autoimmune diseases (disorders of the immune system), vasculitis and heritable connective tissue disorders.
Our in-house rheumatologist is available daily for out-patient and in-patient consultations.
The department has an advanced laboratory, besides radiology and imaging services.
We also provide a unique opportunity for students and researchers to study the various aspects of Systemic Autoimmune Disease, including early and delayed complex presentations. This helps students learn the approach to diagnose and manage Systemic Connective Tissue Diseases by shadowing the rheumatologist.
- Treatment for inflammatory polyarthritis (swelling and redness of multiple joints) – this includes disorders like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Sjogren’s Syndrome, Ankylosing Spondylitis and Psoriatic Arthritis
- Treatment for Systemic Autoimmune Diseases including Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE), Dermatomyositis, Polymyositis and Systemic Vasculitis
- Specialty consultations and Renal (kidney) biopsy by the in-house Nephrologist (kidney specialist) for confirmation of kidney involvement due to SLE or Systemic Vasculitis
- Synovial biopsy and joint replacement surgery for affected hip or knee joints by orthopaedic surgeons
- Specialty consultations, Bronchoscopy and Trans-Bronchial Lung Biopsy by the pulmonologist (chest disease specialist) for diagnosis of Systemic Autoimmune Disease of lung like Sarcoidosis and Interstitial Lung Disease (ILD)
- Gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures by the specialist surgeons or gastroenterologists for the confirmation of inflammation of the intestine associated with arthritis like inflammatory bowel disease and celiac disease
- State-of-the-art High Intensive Care Unit (HICU) for seriously ill patients including ventilator support
- Physiotherapy and rehabilitation including prosthetic and assist devices for improving function and mobility
We also offer specialized diagnosis and treatments for:
- Muscle and nerve biopsy to diagnose Systemic Vasculitis and Dermatomyositis
- Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) for various types of inflammatory arthritis
- Infusion therapy (biologic) with specialized medications for specific Autoimmune diseases
- Joint injections for immediate relief of inflamed or swollen joints
Dr. Jacob Mathews V.
Consultant - Clinical Immunology & Rheumatology
18 years of experience
Dr. Asha Sujatha
Consultant - Internal Medicine & Rheumatology
13 years of experience
Dr. Silas Vinay Rao
Consultant - Rheumatology
6 years of experience
MBBS, MD (Gen. Med.), Fellowship in Rheumatology and clinical immunology